The City of Cannon Beach is seeking a part time Municipal Court Judge. The position is appointed by the City Council and presides over municipal court sessions and functions as a magistrate to administer justice in the disposition of cases involving ordinance or statutory misdemeanor violations within the jurisdiction of Municipal Court. Applicants must have a minimum of five years of experience as a judge or licensed attorney in good standing in the State of Oregon. The applicant must have an effective working knowledge of the law within the jurisdiction of the court or demonstrated ability to learn the law and related judicial procedures. The applicant must have the ability to maintain judicial decorum in the proceedings of the Court, the ability to establish good working relationships and credibility with the general public consistent with the duties of the position, the ability to foster cooperation from persons of diverse social and economic backgrounds, and the ability to conduct affairs of the Court in a consistent, fair, and impartial manner.
- Admission to the Oregon Bar and a minimum of five years of experience in the practice of law and/or on the bench.
- Ability to relate to a highly diverse population in the general public, ranging from attorneys to lay citizens of all socio-economic status.
- Reliability, character, integrity, sound judgment, reputation, experience and efficiency.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle a high volume of cases, including motion hearings, trials to the court and jury trials.
- Good working knowledge of court procedure with emphasis on the municipal court rules.
- Ability to maintain a high level of decorum in the Municipal Court.
- Availability and adaptability of services to meet the needs of the City.
- Ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with the public, Court staff, other city departments and employees, elected officials and other public agencies.
- High performance quality in previous or current judge contracts, if any.
- Ability and record with regard to compliance with applicable laws and ordinances.
- Ability to maintain judicial impartiality and judicial temperament in cases.
- Leadership qualities necessary to enhance the public image and professional stature of the Municipal Court.
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
The position is open until filled; the first review of applications will be on October 29, 2021. Download an application from our website: http://www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs. Send application, cover letter and resume to jennifer Barrett, recorder [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us or PO Box 368, Cannon Beach, OR 97110. Equal Opportunity Employer.