The manager for the Cannon Beach Farmers Market (CBFM) will be employed to provide operations, promotional and management assistance as described below.
The manager will be compensated for working limited hours in the months of October, November, December and January. These hours will increase in the months of February and March, and increase again for April, May, June, July, August, and September.
Market Organization and Development: Work with the CBFM Advisory Board and CB Public Works to assure a location for the market and parking for customers and vendors. Forecast market’s space needs and design a map.
Recruit and retain a strong vendor base, balanced seasonally by product and availability with the CBFM Food Liaison.
- Schedule and visit vendor farms and/or places of business.
- Assess applications for vendors as well prepared food based on CBFM criteria and balance in the market.
- Recruit, train, schedule and maintain volunteers for “behind the scenes work” and “at the market work.”
- Work with the Advisory Board on market policies.
- Update Vendor Handbook and vendor application as needed.
- Learn and use the Manage My Market computer program.
- Assure that the market web page is updated as needed.
- Conduct an inventory of market materials and swag.
- Review and acquire necessary equipment and swag.
- Assure that all equipment and utilities are in working order.
- Maintain market records and update market databases.
- Maintain and update the market business page on Facebook and maintain a market presence on Twitter.
- Work with the CBFM Advisory Board to establish and maintain community support for the market.
- Oversee market music to include a diverse mix of music.
- Solicit or fundraise financial support for market operations.
- Communicate space assignments to vendors weekly.
- Assist farmers and vendors on market day.
- Coordinate, setup and take down canopies, tables, signs, water buckets for tent weights, traffic controls, and other market day items.
- Create, gather and/or copy appropriate material for handouts at the CBFM Information booth.
- Collect vendor fees and tokens by the end of each market.
- Account for tokens and keep records of money owed to vendors with the accounting department.
- Communicate via email, phone and person-to- person meetings with vendors and customers.
- Be available to the public and vendors during market hours.
- Schedule regular meetings with the Advisory board.
- For each week of the market season, create, organize and implement ways to bring customers to the market.
- Conduct market and customers counts and other informal research to asses opportunities and challenges for the market.
- Participate in community activities on behave of the Cannon Beach Farmers Market.
- Identify creative ways for the market to be a apart of appropriate community activities.
- Be prepared to speak to community groups and the press about the market.
- Assure space at the market for non-profits.
- Coordinate and promote special events that provide family-friendly activities for the community.
- During market season, write a weekly newsletter about the market, vendors and upcoming events.
- Work with CBFM Advisory Board to establish an annual budget and monitor budget compliance.
- Maintain records of all market expenditures and work closely with the CB Finance Director.
- Maintain updated records of all fundraising, vendor payments and token payments.
- Excellent ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Experience with project management program coordination, event planning or community building.
- Demonstrated organization skill.
- Diplomatic conflict resolution skills.
- Creative program development and implementation.
- Enthusiastic advocate of local farming and local products.
- Ability to write basic reports and manage market’s database.
- Ability to to lift 40#s on a regular basis.
- Understanding of CB policies regarding the market and out door merchandising.
- Knowledge of and interest in agriculture and food system issues.
- Public speaking experience.
- Fundraising experience.
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
Application deadline: Open until filled. First review of applications will be March 27, 2023. Download an application and job classification from our website: http://www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs . Send application, cover letter and resume to Jennifer Barrett, City Recorder at barrett [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us or PO Box 368, Cannon Beach, OR 97110.