The City of Cannon Beach is seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Administrative Specialist. This is a regular, full time position working M-F. Salary range is $20.30 - $25.91/hr plus excellent benefit package. Must have high school diploma/GED; experience with office procedures, equipment and computer software. Candidate must possess strong customer service skills and be able to become a notary of public. This position serves as Municipal Court Clerk and Cashier/Receptionist in the Finance Department.
Under general supervision, the positions in this class perform a variety and wide range of routine clerical and administrative support tasks and activities.
The Administrative Specialist is under the supervision of the Finance Office Manager, processes a wide variety of clerical or administrative transactions or performs a specialized task in support of a City program. This class series differs from the following classes:
- Accounting Administrative Assistant, which focuses on processing and preparing payroll, benefits, and accounting transactions.
- Administrative Assistant, which provides the full range of administrative and secretarial support for City administrators or managers and may lead, direct or supervise other clerical support staff.
Typical Duties/Examples of Work
The following duties are a representative sample of the level of responsibilities, but do not include all of the duties of a similar complexity and responsibility which may be assigned to a position in this class.
- Photocopies, collates, and distributes materials, including agendas, staff reports, and meeting packets. Posts agendas and notices.
- Uses computer and printer to provide word processing for a variety of documents.
- Provides a variety of basic clerical support functions such as faxing documents, ordering supplies, filing, updating manual or automated files or records, and preparing rooms for meetings.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes mail to personnel within a department.
- Provides basic clerical support for specific projects or programs such as providing available information on grants and programs.
- Provides back up support for the performance of the accounting process, including daily routines of the Finance Department.
- Serve as a receptionist; answer the telephone and attend to the general public, providing information or directing them to appropriate staff or office; take and forward message as necessary.
- Provide information and forms to the public as needed; apply City policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, forms, records and reports.
- Receive all cash payments; allocate to proper accounts and record receipt in cash receipts, customer account or other appropriate journals, count cash draw and tally checks for daily bank deposit.
- Process and file tax and fee reminders; receive and record payment.
- Enter data in or obtain data from correct computer files or records, including confidential information and the processing of permits, licenses and renewal applications.
- Enter and manipulate data using computer keyboard and video display terminal; calculator, telephone, fax, copier, printer and two way radio.
- Order, receive and organize office materials and supplies.
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing correspondence.
Graduation from high school or GED and two years of responsible clerical experience, including basic bookkeeping, public contact, operation of computers and application of word processing and spreadsheet programs. Typing ability of at least 50 words per minute.
Experience with cash handling and the processing of fees, payments and bank deposits. Experience with municipal government practices.
- Working knowledge of proper English grammar, spelling and usage.
- Working knowledge of effective reception and customer service practices.
- Working knowledge of basic arithmetic, perform calculations, cash handling, data entry and accounts receivable.
- Working knowledge of effective office operations and procedures.
Skills Required/Ability To
- Handle multiple tasks and detail orientation.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and orally.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, customers, volunteers and citizens.
- Learn and perform assigned tasks accurately and timely. Apply judgment within established parameters.
- Apply effective internal and external customer service skills and discern appropriate responses and alternatives.
- Ensure accuracy in application of basic arithmetic and perfom1ing calculations, cash handling, accounts payable, and data entry.
- Maintain a variety of records and files.
- Use and operate general office equipment including a calculator, ten-key, computer, printer, fax, copier, postage machine, and public address system.
- Use keyboard; utilizing word-processing and spreadsheet programs or other application software as required for the position.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Apply judgment within established parameters, policies, and programs.
Work in this class is typically performed in an office environment. Requiring periods of sitting with attention to a computer keyboard and video display terminal, light lifting up to 30 pounds, reaching for files, accuracy in recording information and frequent interruptions of work may be experienced by customers seeking information in person or by phone or by changing priorities in the office. On occasion may deal with distraught or difficult individuals.
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
Application forms are available at City Hall, 163 E. Gower St. or online at www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs. For more information or to send a letter of interest, resume and completed application form to the attention of Laurie Sawrey, Finance Director, City of Cannon Beach, PO Box 368, Cannon Beach OR, 97110; or fax to (503) 436-2050; or via email to sawrey [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us.