The City of Cannon Beach is seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Receptionist/Court Clerk. This is a regular, full time position working M-F. Salary range is $18.02 - $23.00/hr plus excellent benefit package. Must have high school diploma/GED; experience with office procedures, equipment and computer software. Candidate must possess strong customer service skills and be able to become a notary of public and LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System) certified.
Under general supervision, the positions in this class perform a variety and wide range of routine receptionist and clerical support tasks and activities for the municipal court program. This position consist of 85% receptionist duties and 15% court clerk duties.
The Receptionist is under the supervision of the Finance Director, processes a wide variety of customer service and clerical support for the municipal court program. This class series differs from the following classes:
- Administrative Specialist, which focuses on providing a wide variety of administrative support.
- Accounting Administrative Assistant, which focuses on processing and preparing payroll, benefits, and accounting transactions.
- Administrative Assistant, which provides the full range of administrative and secretarial support for City administrators or managers and may lead, direct or supervise other clerical support staff.
Typical Duties/Examples of Work
The following duties are a representative sample of the level of responsibilities, but do not include all of the duties of a similar complexity and responsibility, which may be assigned, to a position in this class.
- Serve as a receptionist; answer the telephone and attend to the general public, providing information or directing them to appropriate staff or office; take and forward message as necessary.
- Provide information and forms to the public as needed; apply City policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, forms, records and reports.
- Receive all cash payments; allocate to proper accounts and record receipt in cash receipts.
- Enter and manipulate data using computer keyboard and video display terminal; calculator, telephone, fax, copier, printer and two way radio.
- Performs clerical support duties for municipal court such as data entry, filing, attending to court appointments, answering calls, administers assistance to witness trials and hearings.
- Authenticates copies of court records, prepares docket of cases to be called, contacts witnesses, lawyers, and litigants for the court and instructs them when to appear in court.
- Handle financial record keeping, and acts as custodian of the court’s seal and court records. Collect fees and other payments or deposits made in the court (fines, court costs), prepare reports and court forms, and processes petitions and warrants.
- Coordinate publication of court decisions, review court records for accuracy, and handle court correspondences.
- Coordinate with DMV for license suspension(s), Credits Inc (collection company) justice and/or LEDS for defendant info to support prosecutor.
- Liaison with judge and city prosecutor.
- Notary of Public for court related documents.
Graduation from high school or GED and two years of responsible clerical and customer service experience, including public contact, operation of computers and application of word processing and spreadsheet programs. Typing ability of at least 50 words per minute. Able to become a Notary of Public and LEDS certified.
Experience with cash handling and the processing of fees and payments. Experience with municipal government practices.
- Working knowledge of proper English grammar, spelling and usage.
- Working knowledge of effective reception and customer service practices.
- Working knowledge of basic arithmetic, perform calculations, cash handling, data entry and accounts receivable.
- Working knowledge of effective office operations and procedures.
Skills and Ability
- Exceptional customer service
- Handle multiple tasks and detail orientation.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and orally.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, customers, volunteers and citizens.
- Learn and perform assigned tasks accurately and timely.
- Apply judgment within established parameters.
- Apply effective internal and external customer service skills and discern appropriate responses and alternatives.
- Ensure accuracy in application of basic arithmetic and performing calculations, cash handling, accounts payable, and data entry.
- Maintain a variety of records and files.
- Use and operate general office equipment including a calculator, ten-key, computer, printer, fax, copier, postage machine, and public address system.
- Use keyboard; utilizing word-processing and spreadsheet programs or other application software as required for the position.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Apply judgment within established parameters, policies, and programs.
Some positions in this class may require a valid driver’s license.
Work in this class is typically performed in an office environment. Requiring periods of sitting with attention to a computer keyboard and video display terminal, light lifting up to 30 pounds, reaching for files, accuracy in recording information and frequent interruptions of work may be experienced by customers seeking information in person or by phone or by changing priorities in the office. On occasion may deal with distraught or difficult individuals.
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
The position is open until filled. Application forms are available at City Hall, 163 E. Gower St. or online at www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs. Send application, cover letter and resume to Laurie Sawrey, sawrey [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us or PO Box 368, Cannon Beach, OR 97110.