The City of Cannon Beach is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Code Enforcement Officer.
SALARY: $24.54 to $31.32 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 11/12/21
- Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- PERS Retirement
- Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave Benefits
- Position is included in the Cannon Beach Police Guild
Perform community code enforcement activities. Investigate complaints and enforce code compliance and municipal code violations. Obtain compliance regarding transient rental ordinances and perform vacation rental audits. Maintain a good working relationship with other enforcement agencies and personnel within the boundary of the City.
Works under the general supervision of the Police Lieutenant. May receive work assignments from other city staff. Employee is expected to use independent judgement to plan, organize, implement, and review duties with minimal supervision according to established procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receive and respond to complaints regarding code and ordinance problems.
- Make field inspections and enforce codes and ordinances relating to intersection clear-vision, abandoned vehicles, nuisances, junk and other various City ordinances.
- Assist citizens in obtaining code compliance, rendering efficient and courteous service.
- Coordinate code enforcement activities with other departments, ensuring compliance with terms established by land use laws, City policies, and ordinances.
- Prepare detailed reports, providing oral and written communication, including enforcement records.
- Research ordinances and codes, deed records, building codes, abatement codes, and be aware of City boundaries.
- Issue citations as necessary for violations.
- Testify in court as needed.
- Maintain department equipment and inventory, including vehicle maintenance records.
- Communicate effectively on a police radio.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including providing assistance with special assignments.
- Navigate in less than desirable conditions, climb terrain, climb ladders, and walk considerable distances
- Visually assess complaints
- Follow established guidelines
- Maintain confidentially
- Ability to interact with complainants and suspected violators in an objective and equitable manner
- Follow established guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision while making independent decisions
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form
- Demonstrated ability to write detailed reports
A considerable amount of time will be spent outside with exposure to various weather conditions. Hours may be increased during periods of heavy workloads. The working environment can be stressful. May have contact with individuals who may be uncooperative, become angered or combative. Exposure to unsanitary conditions, rodent, garbage, etc. High volume work load. Required to wear a uniform.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, read, communicate, reach and manipulate objects or tools. The position requires mobility and the ability to operate a motorized vehicle. Duties involve moving materials up to 5 pounds on a regular basis and objects which may weigh up to 40 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required while operating and handling equipment, motorized vehicles and computers.
SKILLS REQUIRED/DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE:
- Able to function effectively in stressful situations
- An understanding of Oregon Criminal Laws, Oregon Traffic Laws, and the Cannon Beach Municipal Code
- Strong written and oral communication capabilities
- Proficiency in the operation of standard office equipment, including word processing, typing, and computer skills
- Possess LEDS certification or have the ability to obtain LEDS certification
- Knowledge of the operation, policies, procedures, and terminology of law enforcement
- The ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public, while maintaining confidentially
- Knowledge of the Cannon Beach area
- Previous work experience demonstrating cooperative, tactful, and service oriented contact with the public is preferred
- Previous work experience in code enforcement and/or ordinance and statute enforcement is desirable
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license and a safe driving record
- No felony arrests or convictions
- Must be of good moral fitness as determined by a thorough background investigation
- This is a position requiring adherence to federal, state, and local laws, both on and off duty
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
The recruitment process for the code enforcement officer position is approximately 3 months. Applicants must pass each step in order to continue in the process. The process includes written (POST) testing, an oral board interview, a Chief’s interview, a comprehensive background investigation, and drug testing.
Download an Employment Application. Send application, cover letter and resume to Jason Schermerhorn, barrett [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us (subject: Building%20Official%20Job%20Opening) .
*HOW TO APPLY*:
Qualified applicants must complete and submit a City of Cannon Beach job application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application; however applicants are encouraged to include a resume.