Location: Cannon Beach, Oregon
Position Type: Part time (up to 29 hrs./ week), seasonal (February – November).
Salary: $15-$23/hour; depending upon education and experience. This position is not eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Reports To: HRAP Director.
About Haystack Rock Awareness Program: The Haystack Rock Awareness Program is a stewardship and environmental education program whose mission is to protect through education, the intertidal and bird ecology of the Marine Garden and Oregon Island National Wildlife Refuge at Haystack Rock. Since its modest beginnings in 1985, HRAP has educated and inspired over nine hundred thousand adults and children to learn about the natural resources at Haystack Rock and in other places on our Earth. Our program strives to provide a positive and informative experience to all visitors at Haystack Rock. The Friends of Haystack Rock work closely with HRAP, providing guidance and financial support.
Position Summary: Lead Rocky Shore Interpreters manage a team of interpreters while on shift, educate the public about intertidal and seabird ecology, support stewardship, sets-up and breaks down HRAP’s mobile education unit, redirect visitors engaging in prohibited activities, maintain equipment, rescue and transport injured wildlife, assist our Volunteer and Education Coordinator during field trips, collect data, participate in co-science surveys as well as in outreach events, and carry out miscellaneous office administrative tasks.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide effective leadership and guidance to a team of Rocky Shore Interpreters, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Operate a truck on the beach.
- Set up and dismantle HRAP’s mobile education unit each shift. This requires walking long distances, and often carrying items weighing more than 40 lbs. in various weather conditions.
- Serve as a representative for HRAP and the City of Cannon Beach, demonstrating a commitment to professionalism and the values upheld by both entities.
- Interact with the public as an educator, sharing insights on different facets of the Haystack Rock Ecosystem.
- Educate visitors about the state and federal laws and the agencies responsible for managing the area.
- Clean, maintain, and repair equipment such as the program’s truck, scopes, binoculars, signs, and other items.
- Assist in training and mentoring volunteers.
- Participate in other program facets, such as the field trip and private tour programs.
- Collect data and information for strategic use.
- Complete daily data logs
- Assist in co-science surveys and other ongoing research efforts.
- Rescue and transport injured wildlife as needed.
- Attending monthly staff meetings.
- Be 16 years of age or older.
- Possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Proven experience in team management or demonstrated success in a leadership role, preferably with at least 1 year of experience.
- Background in education, interpretation, environmental science, ecology, or related biology fields, minimum of 1 year of experience preferred.
- Proficient in identifying local intertidal and sea bird species.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable operating a truck on the beach.
- Ability to work independently or with others and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Able to perform in stressful situations.
- Must be flexible to shifting deadlines and priorities.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, lift and hold at least 50 Ibs., and work in adverse weather conditions.
- Proficient in MS Office Applications.
- Proficient in English. Bilingual is desirable.
Schedule: Rocky Shore Interpreters schedule will vary around low tide; therefore, applicants must be willing to work early mornings, middays, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Work schedules are coordinated at least one month in advance.
Veterans' Preference: Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
To Apply: Application deadline: Open until filled. Download an application and job description from our website: http://www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs. Send application, cover letter, and resume/CV, and three references to Kelli Ennis, ennis [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us or PO Box 368, Cannon Beach, OR 97110.