The City of Cannon Beach is a popular coastal community along the picturesque Oregon Coast, where residents enjoy an outstanding quality of life. The City’s Community Development Department is seeking a dedicated and customer service-oriented individual for the position of Planner I. Individuals in this position are responsible for performing complex current and long-range planning duties in accordance with the City's Development Code & Comprehensive Plan. Assignments include but are not limited to, serving as project manager coordinating and managing development review cases, writing and presenting staff reports, policy development, permit and plan review, tree removal and code compliance and other projects as assigned. Work is often collaborative, working across departments and organizations, and yet the individual is expected to be able to carry out with a reasonable degree of independent action and judgment multiple projects in required time frames. The incumbent in this position will interact with the public daily, informing the general public of planning regulations and procedures, giving presentations at public meetings, and conducting site inspections.
Level and starting salary will depend upon the successful candidate's education, knowledge, training, experience, and certifications.
Planner I (Entry Level-Minimum Requirements & Preferences)
- Bachelors Degree (Planning, Community Development, Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or a closely related field)
- 1-2 years of local government experience in land use, urban planning, and comprehensive planning
- Public Sector experience preferred
The successful candidate will also have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Principles and practices of land use planning, zoning and subdivision law, theory and application.
- Able to assemble and analyze information and make written reports and documents, as well as oral presentations in a clear, concise and effective manner.
- The ability to act as project manager in guiding applications through the development review process.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Must be able to speak before an audience with poise, voice control and confidence.
- Knowledge of the principles of teamwork and empathy and the ability to apply these principles in a professional setting.
- Knowledge and skill in the legal aspects of planning and specific knowledge of legal requirements as they may relate to City, State and Federal regulations.
- Knowledgeable of the required and necessary records, reports, documents, and related information required and ability to maintain proper data and information as required.
- Personal communication skills with a variety of people including the general public, property owners, elected officials and professional associates.
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required
- Valid Oregon driver’s license at time of hire
- Familiarity with City of Cannon Beach municipal subdivision and zoning code, comprehensive plan, and other applicable regulations
- Previous Public Sector/ Local government planning experience highly desired
- GIS experience desired
- Certified Arborist, or the ability to pursue certification within one year of hire, or with experience or background in arboriculture or horticulture
Typically Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with some evening meetings (primarily on Thursdays) or other times/schedules to meet organizational needs.
$57,200-$73,000 / yearly
Veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position open for recruitment may be eligible for preference in employment under Oregon law. If you are a Qualified Veteran or Qualified Disabled Veteran and would like to be granted preference in the selection and hiring process for a specific posted job, please fill out this Veterans’ Preference Form below and provide proof of eligibility by submitting a copy of form DD-214 or 215 (copy 4). This completed form and required supporting documentation must be submitted with your application in order for consideration for Veterans’ Preference.
The position is open until filled; the first review of applications will be on July 31, 2021. Download an application from our website: http://www.ci.cannon-beach.or.us/jobs. Send application, cover letter and resume to Jeff Adams, adams [at] ci.cannon-beach.or.us or PO Box 368, Cannon Beach, OR 97110. Equal Opportunity Employer.